Isn't this place cute?? It looks so snugly! We were suppose to be camping at Fort Steven this last weekend, but the weather was stating that it was going to be pouring rain the whole time. The boy's really wanted to go camping so I called the state park on Thursday to see if they had any cabin cancellations. Amazingly, they had one cabin available for Friday night! Yeah! The state park had just built these cabins last year. Full bathroom, heat kitchenette....need I say anymore??? I am so glad we were in the cabin, because it seriously poured rain the whole time we were at the cabin!! We checked out at 1 in the afternoon the next day just in time for the rain to stop and the sun to come out!
All the kids wanted to do was roast marshmellow!
Hmm...I think he spots an enemy ship out there!!
Jake loved learning about everything army related at the Fort. Hence his pose below. When we got home, I overheard him labeling cars as either American or Japanese. We had to have a little chat about how the war is over and we are now friends with them.
They had this awesome army truck tour that was a pretty good deal! They drove us around the Fort (which was huge) for an hour talking about all of the different buildings. Did you know that the levees built by the Fort on the Columbia ended up pushing the ocean beach entry away by a mile?
Did you know that Fort Stevens was first built at the end of the civil war? And...it was the only Fort to be shot at by the enemy on the mainland?
All in all, a fun week getaway to keep the kids occupied! This is the one thing I love about summer, the ability to just take off and go places whenever we want...and my kids are starting to sleep in! Yes!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment